Closing In On Surgery Day

May 30th, 2011 – Dinner at the Baumgartner House:

It probably seemed like a mundane Monday or Memorial Day holiday for most, but for me it sure wasn’t. It would be the day my parents would meet Kara’s family. I knew her immediate family, but I would be meeting many more people near and dear to her. I was definitely filled with nerves. I naturally wanted them all to like me and genuinely approve of me. I mean after all, their beloved Kara was going to go under the knife for a stranger! I felt a pressure, a pressure I of course put on myself. I told myself to just be myself; that was all I could do and hope that I wouldn’t accidentally say anything stupid! When do you ever meet people under these circumstances? There are no guidelines or rule books to look to for help. It’s just an uncharted thing that you navigate the best you can.

I knew everyone would be nice, that wasn’t a concern of mine. So my family hopped in the car and drove the whole two minutes over to Kara’s parents house from ours. We pulled up to their gorgeous home overlooking the water and knocked on the door. Her dad Tim welcomed us with open arms. From that moment on, I knew it would be a great evening. Everyone was so friendly! They all seemed so excited to be a part of this. It was very reassuring for me that her family was so supportive of what we were going to do. We shared a delicious dinner outside, filled with good conversation and even better company. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and vibe, which I knew my parents appreciated.

It was so nice to see all of the children too. Kara’s children, Ainslee and Elise were there, as well as Kara's niece Ella and nephew Kohen, whom I taught at the school I worked at. It was so nice to see them all. The presence of children always puts me at ease. It made me feel so good that little Ainslee was excited to see me, because I was excited to see her too! She is the sweetest child and I was glad she had warmed up to me so quickly. I’ll never forget what Kara’s mother Nikki had said. She said how excited they were to be doing this and that they were glad I was doing it too!! This blew me away! She was happy I was doing this!? These few words spoke volumes to me. These people were some of the most down to earth, kindest people I had ever met. God’s plan really is the best.

Early on, I hoped my donor would be someone I knew really well. Probably because I thought it would’ve been easier or something to that effect. I would have never dreamed it would be someone I didn’t know! I’m so overjoyed that it worked out the way that it did. Kara was for sure divinely picked. The fact that she answered her call, was the true miracle that took place. She comes from a wonderful family that I’m glad I now know and she is such a good hearted person that I really see as a friend! I lucked out, better yet I’m truly blessed. The countdown continued, only 48 hours left until the big event!



May 31st, 2011 – The day before surgery:

Of course the surgery was on my mind at every turn. I was also extremely busy packing for the hospital and my long hotel stay in Seattle. I decided I would recover in a hotel with my aunt Swedini, the aunt that wrote the initial email that was sent out to everyone. I stayed in Seattle because after surgery, I had clinic appointments two times a week for about the next 3 months. The plan was to stay close until I recovered a bit and could make the commute. Living in a hotel seemed easier too because there was no cleaning or cooking etc. So I stuffed my car with all of my dialysis stuff, a months worth of clothes and all of the other things I rationalized as necessities. I kissed my mom goodbye and hopped in my car and headed to Seattle. My aunt flew in early that day and had been waiting for me at the hotel. I was so happy to see her waiting for me! I was glad she came to take care of me. She is one of the best advocates I know. If you want someone on your side, it’s her.

We unpacked, got some food with my boyfriend Cody and his dad Jim. After our delicious meal, we returned to the hotel to unwind before the big day. I did my last round of dialysis the night before which was sooo liberating. If I could’ve bottled that feeling, I would have. I think to myself all the time how grateful I am to Kara that I don’t have to dialyze anymore or plan my life around it. I tried my best to get some sleep before the surgery. I wasn’t exactly successful seeing that I got a whopping two hours worth! It was one day or less until the surgery now!

~Cherina

No comments:

Post a Comment