Kidney Transplant Operation Preparation

May 23, 2011 – Pre-Op appointment:

Today was my nerve recking/exciting/over whelming pre-op appointment! I went in early Monday morning. Kara also had her appointment on the same day, so I was happy to know I would be seeing her. I met with my transplant team which consists of the fellow Nephrologist, the attending Nephrologist, the surgeons, the Post-Transplant Coordinator, nutritionists and social workers. We discussed the details of the operation at length, as well as the post-op expectations and guidelines. I was anxious to get the ball rolling! I think both of us felt that way from what I recall.

I did the routine blood draw, except they filled around 13 vials, versus my normal two to three. It was so amazing that all of the doctors were discussing my transplant as if it was definitely going to happen! This was a major moment for me. Everything was really coming together now. It was no longer an idea or a hope; It was a reality. There were only nine more days until surgery!!!  The Lord was really watching out for me! Now I would wait, which proved to be one of the most difficult pieces of the puzzle.

~Cherina

May 25, 2011 – Anesthesiology appointment:

Two days closer until the big day!  I woke up that morning with more butterflies than the day before. I actually was excited to go to the University of Washington Medical Center for once! I had an Anesthesiology appointment and so did Kara. I was thirsty for as much new information about the surgery I could get. Kara knew more about the surgery than I did! I would ask her questions or she would inform me about all the information she had learned. As the recipient, the team told me very little. After all, Kara was the one making the ultimate sacrifice. I HAD to have this transplant no matter what. I’m just so thankful that she didn’t pass on me! I think the general thinking is that the team didn’t want to get my hopes up or provide me with any details when everything could be subject to change. I think everyone is thinking that all I should be concerned with is getting the kidney and nothing else. So I just stayed out of it and stopped asking questions that proved hard for them to answer. Patience was the key; easy to think, but challenging to do.

I went in for my appointment and the nicest RN assisted me. She reminded me of all the pre-op procedures. Wash with the special soap, don’t eat past midnight and take all the laxatives. That was fun! I felt so bad because Kara had it way worse! Our surgery was on a Wednesday and Kara couldn't eat past 6am Tuesday!! Of course I forgot this bit of information and tried to make dinner plans with her the night before the knife! I’m lucky she’s an amicable person.

The nurse went over the risks and concerns as well. Although I’ve heard all of this ad nauseam, it was different to hear it one more time, one last time. It kind of validated and confirmed it all for me. She gave me a small book that explained my surgical experience, and I was on my way. I was overflowing with enthusiasm and fervor.

~Cherina

No comments:

Post a Comment