Time to Give a Kidney!


6/1/2011 – Surgery Day
I woke up much more calm and not nearly as starving as I had anticipated. I convinced Shane to shower and go down and take advantage of the continental breakfast before we had to leave. I showered, scrubbing for 10 minutes again, and carefully brushed my teeth making sure that I didn’t swallow any toothpaste or water while doing so. I had very clear instructions – nothing but spit after midnight the night before. NO gum, mints, water, coffee or tea, nothing to drink and absolutely nothing to eat.
I dressed in my new Kidney t-shirt, braided my hair in pigtails and painted my fingernails a nice olive-y green. All things that make me smile. I figured I needed to smile as much as possible surgery day. I tried to sit down with my very handsome husband Shane’s computer and write the morning of surgery, but I just couldn’t focus … hmm … wonder why?
We arrived at the hospital, parked in the garage under the surgery pavilion right next to my parents and went up to the second floor where they had arrived minutes before we had. I checked in and was told that there would be a little wait. Cherina, her boyfriend and aunt arrived minutes before I was called back to pre-op. We were able to take a few pictures in our matching kidney shirts before I was lead back to the curtained-off bed where I was to undress and get my IV started. The nurses LOVED my shirt and even took it out of my personal items bag so they could show it around the floor.
Dr. Batkha came in, marked my stomach with an arrow and his initials and told me that we were delayed a little bit. A deceased donor transplant was taking place in our OR. Kami had told me that she had only seen a surgery bumped 3 or 4 times in her 9 years as transplant coordinator due to a deceased donor surgery and I had told her that I would be happy to wait if that meant someone else was getting their miracle. We were bumped, and another miracle successfully checked off the Long, Long list.
My family was able to come back and visit one at a time and keep me company while I waited. Surprisingly, the time went by quickly. I was calm, and completely comfortable with what was about to happen. I usually have a pretty mellow disposition, but looking back on it now I am surprised how unaffected I was feeling. It was like I was waiting for a table at my favorite restaurant, knowing that I was about to have a great meal with all the satisfaction that comes with good food and good company.
Cherina came in to the pre-op room minutes before I was wheeled out, we hugged then I was given my “gin and tonic” through the IV. I made Cody give me a hug then off I went down a long hall with tons of equipment lining the halls and into the operating room. It was a big room, with a giant light in the middle and a big window to a room where they told me Cherina would be. Again lots of random machines making it look more like a storage closet than an OR, but seconds later I was out. I don’t even remember them telling me I was getting more drugs or asking me to count down.
I remember a very nice nurse standing next to me while waking up. I asked about Cherina but she said that she didn’t know anything. She asked me what my pain level was and I told her none – I couldn’t feel  a thing!  My husband came back first and told me that everything went very well. Dr. Baktha told them that my kidney was as perfect as they come. It turns out that Cherina’s surgeon was the one doing the deceased donor operation and he didn’t quite finish when they had expected so there was a waiting period while I was under and waiting for the kidney to come out, but Cherina was not ready for it.  My surgery ended up being more like five hours than the three to four that they had anticipated.
My mom came back and I remember laughing at the guy in the bed across from us who was sitting fully clothed on the edge of his bed belching louder than anyone I have ever heard. I am not sure if the drugs were causing me to laugh or if it was just really funny. While my mom was there the nurse kept asking if I was always this calm, and she kept saying that I was so easy, not always a compliment but I guess in this situation it is!  The nurse won lots of points with me when I heard her saying to the people upstairs that I was “really small” and would be easy to move.
I didn’t feel any pain until I was wheeled down the crazy labyrinth of halls and elevators to get to my recovery room. Lots of bumps in the floors and tight hallways not easily maneuverable in a rolling bed resulted in a bit more jostling than I was ready for, but I had a pain pump and was happy to push the button every six minutes until I was asleep.
I don’t remember much else of the night other than being thankful for my Foley catheter so I didn’t have to get out of bed and being really thirsty. I know Dr. Batkha stopped by before he left for the night and said Cherina’s surgery went very well, the kidney was producing urine before she was even all stitched up and that things looked so good that the surgeon felt comfortable removing her dialysis catheter inserted in her stomach. I convinced my husband that I was okay and that he could stay the night in the hotel. Around 10pm Cherina called and we talked on our cell phones until hers died 40 minutes later. I couldn’t tell you much of our conversation other than being so excited to hear her voice and know that she was okay. We both kept dozing off and having a hard time keeping up with each other's train of thought. I wish that conversation could have been recorded
 ~Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment