Post-Transplant Recovery

Day 2, 3 and 4 (Release Day)

The second day went by with as much ease as the first. In anticipation of my daughters visiting, I kept up with my pain pump and oral meds and even tried to eat a yogurt parfait for breakfast. I was even allowed to have a lovely sponge bath- where I was standing at the edge of the bed for a good five minutes. Sounds kind of terrible, but they warm up these wonderfully clean smelling wipes and allow you to wash as much as you want. I had yellow iodine all over my stomach, which was good to get off, and it was the first time I was able to get a good look at my incisions. Two on the left side of my bellybutton, about four inches apart. The top one looked to be a little smaller than the bottom, but it was hard to tell because they were covered in surgical glue. Those incisions were from the scope and laparoscopy instruments. Centered about four inches below my bellybutton was the large incision where the kidney was removed, and Dr. Bakhta’s hand was inserted for hours. It is about five inches or so long.

While standing naked in my room getting my bath, Bakhta walked in and asked how I was doing. After having two kids, donating a kidney and being on a pain pump, all modesty flies out the window. Kind of weird, but to be honest, they guy had his hand in my stomach, so he might as well see me in all God’s glory! Again, he said that my kidney was perfect and that we were both doing very well.

All day long there were people in and out of my room. Family and friends came to visit, and even a few of my new hospital friends stopped by to make sure I was doing well. Everyone was so positive, and told me I was looking great – like those moments after you have a baby and are wiped out, tired beyond belief and people keep commenting on how good you look all the while knowing you haven’t showered in days and your hair is a mess on top of your head and you KNOW they cant be telling the truth. Yes, it was much like that.

I was SO happy to see my kids that first day, and they gave me a renewed sense of energy and desire to get well quickly. They were climbing all over me and the bed and all the chairs in the room, but were amazingly loving and sweet and concerned about their momma. I have said all along, I am excited for my children to grow up knowing that I gave Cherina my kidney, thinking that everyone’s mom does it at some point. I am walking the walk right now and am so proud of the lesson I am teaching them about humanity. One of the many perks.

I was able to make my first outing as my kids were leaving. We walked two very slow, very deliberate laps around the floor. Turns out that 4SE was the floor where all kidney, liver and pancreas transplant patients reside. It was kind of bittersweet to see all of these people in their rooms recovering from their surgeries, or readmitted due to rejections or other issues. Some were getting their miracles, some were waiting and one guy was casually talking about his multiple kidneys he had received over the years, and how he currently had four.

As Thursday night was winding down Shane took me for one last stroll around the hall and it was then, at 9pm, that I was able to see Cherina for the first time. It was emotional for the both of us, as we were tired, drugged up and certainly sore. I was able to lean over and touch my forehead to hers. It was a pathetic attempt at a hug, but the best we could do. Shane and Cody made us do it again so they could take a picture. We are bonded for life. We will remain a part of this sisterhood that few will ever understand.
Day three was much the same as day two, only I felt a little better, ate a little more and was able to walk a few more laps. The catheter was removed, and, to be honest, I was a little sad about losing it. It was so nice to not have to worry about getting out of bed to go to the bathroom, or waiting for a nurse to come and help me if I was alone. By late that evening and Saturday morning I was getting out of bed myself and going on my own, which was quite a feat let me tell you!

I was taking laxatives, stool softeners and urged to drink, eat and walk as much as possible to get my body back on schedule – you know, the poop one. Since they have to move everything around so much your bowel can get a little sluggish and then the painkillers back you up too, so nurses and doctors alike are very interested to hear when you have your first BM. Mine came on Friday. I was nervous to have to put any effort in, thinking that it might be painful, rivaling my sneeze that took place earlier in the day. Luckily it went well.

I had so many lovely visitors, I wish I could name them all, but I can’t. My room was filled with flowers, cards and best of all the warm smiles and huge hearts of people who love Cherina and I and had been praying for us like crazy. We are so blessed.

By day four, Saturday, I had made friends with the surgical interns and had one stopping me in the halls on my solo walks around the floor to show off the latest video of his daughter on his iPhone. I was able to shower on my own, get dressed in regular clothes and even walk myself to Cherina’s room where we could talk for longer than two minutes before we were breathless and looking for the pain pump we no longer had. I went home around noon-ish, maybe a little later and was feeling great. It was a beautiful summer day and when we got home I was able to sit in a lawn chair and watch my kids play in the yard. My parents and husband’s parents ended up joining us for some Indian delivery for dinner. I took my pain meds and slept the night in my new recliner in the living room. All-in-all it was great to be home.

They next day was a Sunday, and equally as nice. The kids played outside and I did a lot of sitting in the yard, as well. I walked between my house and my in laws multiple times and was able to get around and even help out some with the kids. The doctors caution you about stopping your pain meds and letting the pain get ahead of you so I had been pretty good about staying on a fairly regular schedule. Sunday morning I woke up and took one out of routine. That was the last daytime medication I took. I did take a few more during the week at night to help me sleep, as laying down was still not the most comfortable, but certainly after eight or so days I was on nothing stronger than an extra strength Tylenol. And that was only if something traumatic like sneezing or laughing occurred and I wasn’t prepared with a pillow to hold tightly to my stomach.

People have asked and were always surprised when I would tell them that, yes, I could tell that there was something missing inside. It lasted for a couple of weeks, probably as long as the swelling (and pregnant looking bloat) lasted. If I would lay on my back and then roll to a side or roll from side to side I could feel “settling” of my organs, at least that’s what the doctors said it was. To me it was like I was a human level, and the air bubble would just float to the top. It was not painful, or even uncomfortable but certainly weird. It was kind of like being seven or so months pregnant and the baby had lots of room to move and would suddenly make a big position change, but much more than that. I swear that if the room was quiet you’d be able to hear it. That was certainly the most bazaar part of this whole experience, and something I am glad to see gone!

The week following surgery we kept the girls on their normal babysitting routine and I stayed home by myself during the day. We tried to make things as normal as possible for them, but of course it was hard. I was tired and doing little things would take a lot out of me. Not only was I recovering from a pretty invasive surgery, but my body was screaming at me for messing up the good thing we had going – which was two perfectly working kidneys. I had little energy, but knew that the best thing was exercise and sleep. So I took lots of naps and went for a lot of walks. My first solo walk was Tuesday after surgery – six days out. I texted Shane and told him to send the neighbors looking if he didn’t hear from me in 30 minutes. I ended up making a couple big loops around the neighborhood and I felt great. I still had quite a bit of bloating and pressure on my diaphragm which caused breathlessness quickly, but the athlete in me quickly got past it. The next day I walked even farther, and so on. By the end of the first week, I was walking more than a mile in that 30 minutes.

On day 10 I had a checkup back at the hospital. I had a blood draw first, and had a piddley tree vials of blood taken (maybe it was four, but markedly less than ever before) then a 30 or so minute wait to see the surgeon. We ran into Cherina in the 3rd floor kidney clinic and were able to see each other in regular cloths for the first time in a long time. We hugged, then she was called back almost immediately. It was a short visit, but certainly worth the hug. I was called back shortly after and Kami and Paige both stopped in to check on me. I was told that I wasn’t going to get to see Dr. Bakhta because he had gotten called in on a major surgery case. It is pretty awesome that my surgeon was the guy when “major” cases crop up during the day. Kami told me I was lucky, too, he is the best. I was a little let down, cause I had high hopes of giving him a hug. Nonetheless, someone else was able to come down and look at my incisions, ask a few questions, and sign my return to work form required by the district – oh yeah, and he also cleared me to drive!!!

I went back to work on June 15th for eight half days in the classroom. It was good to finally be getting out of the house regularly and to be doing something that felt a little more normal. Students were funny, and excited to seem me. Some knew that I was donating a kidney and others didn’t. But word quickly spread. Their first question was always about drinking and if I could or not. Leave it to teenagers! 


~Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment